Submissions are invited for UNESCO Youth Eyes on the Silk Roads Photo Contest 2022. The last date of application is 17 July.
UNESCO calls on young people around the world, aged 14 to 25 years old, to pick up their cameras and send their best photos to the 4th edition of our Youth Eyes on the Silk Roads contest.
The UNESCO Youth Eyes on the Silk Roads international photo contest is part of the Organization’s Silk Roads Programme and Social and Human Sciences Sector. It promotes photography as a tool for encouraging cultural interaction, helping build mutual understanding, and promoting peace amongst the people living in the regions connected by the Silk Roads.
This year, the themes are ‘Faith and Spiritualities’ and ‘Living Together’. Entries may focus on either of these, while concentrating on mutual influences shared by people along the Silk Roads.
Faith and Spiritualities
Photographers may wish to submit photos of:
- Religious architecture and monuments such as temples, mosques, churches and other sites – especially those representing architectural elements from different cultures;
- The role of faith and spirituality in daily life, including the many festivals, rites and celebrations along the Silk Roads such as Diwali, Eid, Easter and Rosh Hashanah;
- Pilgrimage routes, such as the Way of St James in Galicia, Spain, and the Kumano Kodo pilgrimage routes in Japan – both recognised as UNESCO World Heritage routes.
- Religious art including painting and sculpture.
Photos for this theme could include:
- Intercommunity and multicultural gatherings for celebrations and festivals, or major occasions that mark our lives;
- Common moments from daily life in multicultural societies;
- Important local events that bring people of different communities and ethnicities together;
- Global events that promote peace and dialogue, such as intercommunity or cross-community sports, musical and artistic performances, or interfaith events and celebrations that promote peace and mutual respect.
Eligibility & Categories
14 to 17 years old and 18 to 25 years old.
Interested candidates can submit entries via this page.
Three winners in each age category will receive a professional camera. First place winners will receive a professional camera. Second place winners will receive a semi-professional camera. Third place winners will win a standard-model digital camera.
In addition, around 60 of the best photos from the contest will appear in a professional photo album and will be showcased in an exhibition held in various locations around the world (subject to Covid-19 restrictions).
Click here to view the official notification of UNESCO Youth Eyes on the Silk Roads Photo Contest 2022.
You may also be interested in: