Entries are invited for the Andrei Stenin International Press Photo Contest 2021 by UNESCO.
About the Contest
The Andrei Stenin International Press Photo Contest is open to participants aged 18 to 33. It aims to promote young photographers and support them in their strive for professional perfection.
The 2021 contest will showcase four categories for which young photographers can vie for awards:
- Top News. Important events in the life of individuals and nations as a whole are the main subject of entries in the category: major political and social events; reports from war zones and places struck by natural disasters; decisive moments in people’s lives.
- Sports. This category involves entries, which captured moments in sport: victories of athletes and dramatic losses; daily sports training; the beauty of sports competitions.
- My Planet. This category involves entries reflecting the entire multicolored palette of topics and images from all over the world. The author’s task is to show an everyday life kaleidoscope in its timeless beauty and harmony, uniting scenes from everyday life; the life of big cities and small towns; nature pictures; ethnographic and religious holidays.
- Portrait. A Hero of Our Time. This category involves entries such as individual or group portraits of people. Photos can be documentary and posed. The determining factor in this category is the author’s ability to reveal the inner world of his characters, express their mental qualities and character through the uniqueness of their appearance and looks as a whole.
- To perpetuate the memory of Andrei Stenin, a Russian journalist and Rossiya Segodnya photo correspondent who was posthumously awarded the Order of Courage for the bravery and heroism he demonstrated in the performance of his professional duties.
- To support and promote high standards of photojournalism and documentary photography in Russia and around the world.
- To promote photography and raise public awareness about photojournalism.
- To support young photographers.
Purpose of the Contest
To develop and improve professional photojournalism in Russia and around the world.
- The Contest is open to Russian and foreign nationals who are professional photographers. The age limits for Contest Participants: at least 18 and no more than 33 years old at the time of the Contestant’s submission of Photo Image(s) to the Contest.
- The Contestant may submit only one Photo Image (Series of Images) in each category.
- Entry for the competition is free of charge. Determination of the Winners and Runners-up of the Competition is not accidental. The Contest is not a lottery.
- Entries can contain a single photograph or series of no more than 12 photographs. Minor cropping, or balance (white balance) or density (brightness, contrast) correction is acceptable. Framed images, collages, photos that have been significantly photoshopped, with parts of the image edited, deleted or replaced with a different image, will not be accepted.
Photos will be uploaded in the JPG format. The acceptable compression will not exceed 10. The image is to be no less than 2,200 pixels and no more than 5,700 pixels by its longer side.
- The file name must contain the serial number of the photograph, name and last name of the author, title and year it was shot, separated by underscores, for example: 01_Smith_James_The_Spring_2011. The name of the file must be given in Latin script. The file size must not exceed 20 Mb. The file must also contain all the EXIF data.
- Entries are uploaded and stored by the participant on his or her personal page at STENINCONTEST.COM. Photos can be added or replaced until the participant submits the entry. After the entry is submitted, photos can no longer be added or replaced.
- Photographs must have been taken after January 1, 2020. In exceptional cases, series of photographs started in previous years are accepted. In such case, the last photograph of the series must have been taken in 2020 or 2021.
For more details, click here.
How to Register?
Interested participants can register for the contest through this link.
- Entries close: 28.02.2021
- Shortlist announcement: 16.06.2021
- Open online vote: 01.07.2021
- Winner’s list, awards ceremony: September 2021
- Opening of the photo exhibition: September 2021
For more details, click the link below.
The Andrei Stenin International Press Photo Contest 2021 by UNESCO