Applications are invited from eligible candidates for the Research Fellowship Program 2023 by Matsumae International Foundation (MIF), Japan.
No. of Positions
Applicants of non-Japanese nationality who meet all the following requirements are eligible to submit application documents.
- Applicants must obtain an invitation (acceptance) letter from a host institution in Japan prior to application.
- Applicants must hold Ph.D. (Doctoral degree).
- Applicants must be at the age of 49 years old or younger at the time of application.
- Applicants must have sufficient the English or Japanese languages ability.
- Applicants should not have past or current experiences of staying in Japan (other than short-term stays such as for sightseeing or conferences)
- Applicants must have an occupation in their home countries, return there upon completing their fellowship tenure, and should contribute to development of their own country.
Fields of research such as natural science, engineering, and medicine are given first priority.
- Three to six months between April 2023 to March 2024.
- Please indicate the length of your stay and its commencing and ending month in your Application Form (Form #1). (E.g., Six months from September 2023 to February 2024.)
Host Institution in Japan
- Applicants are free to choose a host institution in Japan (universities, national research institutions, or the equivalent facilities in private sector) to carry out their research.
- Please be sure to obtain a letter of acceptance from the host institution prior to application.
- The MIF is not in a position to give advice or recommendations to applicants regarding host institutions in Japan.
Fellowships are provided to the successful applicants only, and intended for necessary living expenses and research activities in Japan. Under no circumstances, this fellowship is transferable.
|Monthly Allowance||A monthly allowance of JPY 220,000 is provided to cover expenses for research activities (including materials) and living expenses in Japan.|
|Arrival Fund||JPY 120,000 is provided to cover part of the initial costs of living in Japan.|
|Round-trip Air Transportation||Round-trip economy class airfare is provided between the nearest international airport from a grantee’s domicile and Tokyo, Japan.|
|Insurance||Overseas travel insurance with medical treatment and death benefit is provided.|
|Study Tour||The MIF invites fellowship recipients to participate in a study tour during their fellowship to deepen their understanding of Japan.|
|Notices Concerning Fellowship Conditions||● The fellowship will be granted only within the period specified in the grant letter, which cannot be extended or shortened.|
● Only the individual specified in the grant letter is eligible for the grant. The MIF will not be involved in any way with regard to the immigration procedures, airline tickets, or accommodation expenses, for the family, companions, etc. of the selected applicant.
How to Apply?
Applicants must submit their application documents to the MIF via e-mail.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Application Period: April 1, 2022 to June 30, 2022 (Japan Standard Time)
Applications will not be accepted for any reason before or after the application period.
Screening Process & Announcement of the Results
- Applications are evaluated by the MIF Screening Committee on the basis of academic value and degree of perfection of the research projects.
- The results will be announced on the MIF website in December 2022.
- The MIF will send a grant letter to successful applicants.
- It is the policy of the MIF to neither disclose the content of discussions by the Screening Committee nor accept inquiries about individual applications.
- The MIF will not comment on the reasons for the decisions made by the Screening Committee.
How to Apply?
Interested applicants can apply for the fellowship through this link.
June 30, 2022