The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) seeks qualified applicants for positions as Research Associates for projects on agriculture, education, environment, finance, health, labor, urban issues and governance in locations around the world. The positions offer an opportunity to gain first-hand field management experience in an organization undertaking cutting-edge development research. These positions are located primarily in developing countries around the world and the principal investigators are J-PAL affiliated professors.
Title of Post
Price Competition Amongst Market Vendors
- Fluent Hindi and English speaking
- Familiarity with randomized controlled trials
- Experience with survey design
- Intermediate/advanced Survey CTO skills
- Previous experience with JPAL/IFMR/IPA or similar, as RC/RA or similar
- A Bachelor’s/Master’s degree in Economics, Social Sciences, Public Policy or related fields
- Excellent management and organizational skills along with strong quantitative skills
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, and team player
- Some knowledge of Stata
Many development economists have noted the puzzle that seemingly too many vendors operate side by side, duplicating one another’s efforts, yet neither competition nor cooperation drives vendors out of the market. This study seeks to understand the nature of price competition between fruit vendors in Delhi.
The RA will run the field operations and work closely with the 2 PIs (Harvard Business School and University of British Columbia). The RA will be based in Delhi, where the project will be implemented. In the initial period, the RA will supervise a pilot study with 20-30 vendors. Subsequently, the RA will supervise a full study with 300+ vendors.
How to Apply
To apply, click here.