Applications are invited for Research Assistants at IISER Mohali for the year 2022. The last date of application is 25 March.
We are looking for 2 research assistants to help with diverse field and/or lab related tasks related to the roject (ID: 651) entitled “Subsistence and symbolism in prehistoric India: Understanding environmental contexts in relation to Homo sapiens dispersals and adaptations” and is funded under the STARS scheme by the Ministry of Education (formerly MHRD), New Delhi. The purpose of this work is to obtain data and results for better understanding of human environmental adaptations during the Late Pleistocene in India.
The work of the research assistant may include fieldwork (surveys and sample collection) and labwork in relation to Quaternary geology, archaeology, and paleontology, geological excavations, experimental archaeology, data compilation, data entry, digital image processing, lithic analysis (stone tools & natural specimens), sample labelling, photography and geological sample processing (e.g. sample sorting, grain size analysis, geochemistry, GC-MS etc.).
Other related tasks may be assigned as and when needed. All lab work will take place at IISER Mohali and fieldwork may take place at different locations in Madhya Pradesh under the guidance of Dr. Parth R. Chauhan and/or collaborating colleagues.
In case fieldwork is involved, it will happen in April, May or June 2022 (the hottest months) and related expenses including accommodations, food and local travel will be covered by the project grant. Hired research assistants will have to sign relevant undertaking forms.
- Be a citizen of India
- Preferably have a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Ancient Indian History, Archaeology, Anthropology (or related subjects)
- Have prior field and lab experience at the basic level in relation to the required work
- Basic computer skills and proficiency in Hindi (English also welcome)
- Be motivated, energetic and have the ability to maintain a positive attitude towards daily laboratory work or fieldwork
- Be able to start the work immediately if offered a position
- Estimated start date of the work: April 1, 2022
- Application Deadline: March 25, 2022 (not flexible)
Interested applicants should email the following documents to the project PI, Dr. Parth R. Chauhan (parthrc[at]iisermohali.ac.in)
- Formal cover letter
- A short letter of motivation (maximum one page describing past accomplishments, experience, research interests & career goals)
- Complete CV
- One letter of recommendation
Please use “STARS assistant post” in the email subject. Hard copies will NOT be accepted.
The monthly salary will be a consolidated amount of Rs. 14,000/- (INR) for each post. Each assistant will be hired for a period of 6 months from the joining date.
You may also be interested in: