Applications are invited for One World Media Fellowship 2022 for Aspiring Journalists and Filmmakers. The last date of application is 29 March.
One World Media Fellowship is aimed at aspiring journalists and filmmakers who seek to make a career out of reporting on stories from the global south.
Working in film, print, audio or multimedia, our Fellows’ projects bring together integrity and creativity to present underreported stories that break down stereotypes and build cross-cultural connections.
We guide filmmakers and journalists on a single project, and provide a supportive network of mentors and peers through the production and completion of their project.
We are open to applications from all around the world.
One World Media Fellows are aspiring filmmakers and journalists ready to take the next leap in their career reporting from the global south. Looking for their first director role or solo investigation, our Fellows experiment and learn in a supportive environment.
In 2022, we will select 12 international Fellows.
Register for a new user account on the One World Media Submission portal. If you have registered previously, there is no need to create a new account – you can login with the same user details or reset your password.
You will need to fill in an online form, upload necessary documents and provide a reference letter. You can find more details on Submission Information document.
Submit your form when complete.
You may submit more than one proposal, but a separate online application is required for each.
- £1,000 production grant
- Executive Producer for your project
- Career mentorship
- Workshops and webinars by industry experts
- Fair Reporting and Security Guidance
- Introductions to commissioners
- Network of like-minded Fellows and Alumni
- Projects in pre-production that tell engaging stories from low- and middle-income countries across the global south
- Non-fiction media across all platforms: film, print, audio, photojournalism, and multimedia
- Proposals where majority of the budget is in place or achievable in a short time-frame
- Projects that can be delivered within a year – for films this is under 30 mins
- Stories that are strong enough to be published or broadcast in established media outlets. We are looking for genuine journalism or documentary and will fund media that could ultimately appear in existing newspapers, magazines, radio, TV channels, professional news websites and online platforms, etc.
Beyond this, we are particularly interested in proposals that:
- Seek to tell original stories in a way that will engage the intended audience
- Highlight the voices of people living in the global south, particularly voices that are not often heard
- Have established contacts and contributors who have confirmed their willingness to take part
- Have considered ethical issues and safety
- Do not simply cover negative aspects of the global south without considering the context in which they exist
- Demonstrate an understanding of accountability and fair practice in news gathering and reporting
- Show a willingness to work with local people in equal partnership in co-production on a story.
*** We do not fund fiction or feature length projects.
- Open for entries: Tue 22 February 2022
- Deadline: 5PM UTC, Tue 29 March 2022
- Fellows announced: Late May 2022
Click here to view the official notification of One World Media Fellowship 2022 for Aspiring Journalists and Filmmakers.
You may also be interested in:
I have interested to apply fellowship