Applications are invited from suitable candidates for Junior Research Fellow (JRF)/ Full-time Ph.D. under the supervision of Dr. Vinay Chamola (PI), Department of Electrical and Electronics, BITS-Pilani, Pilani Campus (PI), Rajasthan, for the following two projects.
- Design and development of Blockchain-based schemes for Roadside Unit (RSU) and Vehicular communication [2 Vacancies]
- Developing Artificial Intelligence and Internet of Things based solutions for upcoming Smart City Applications [1 Vacancy]
Project/ Position Description
- The JRF will get an opportunity to avail multiple fully funded visits to US Universities (such as Carnegie Mellon University (CMU), the University of Southern California (USC), etc.), and the National University of Singapore, Singapore during the tenure of the project.
- The student will get an opportunity to pursue a fast-track Ph.D. (~ 3 years) with reputed SCI publications, and foreign internships.
- The Junior Research Fellow (JRF) would get an opportunity to be guided by the project investigator and his collaborators. The candidate would work in the BITS IoT Lab (https://bitsiotlab.com/) at BITS Pilani, Pilani Campus.
- They would get an opportunity to learn and work with state-of-the-art hardware like Nvidia Jetson Nano, Nvidia Xavier, Intel Neural Compute Stick, etc.
Rs. 31,000/- per month [Irrespective of whether the candidate is GATE Qualified or not] (Fellowship will be extended till completion of the Ph.D.)
- The candidate’s age must be <= 30 years [Being GATE Qualified is not essential].
- M.E./MTech with at least 60% marks in any domain-related to Electronics/ Computer Science.
- Bachelor’s students who already graduated in Computer Science/ ECE or related streams & having exceptional credentials may also consider applying (Cut-off: 80% Marks/ CGPA >8).
- Good written and spoken English, some experience in technical writing.
- The candidate must have good prior knowledge and hands-on experience in Blockchain/IoT/AI as per the project to which he is interested to apply.
How to Apply? (The application process is the same for both positions)
- Candidates should email their CV to the PI (email@example.com) by 24th June 2021 with the subject of the mail as ‘Application for JRF position’ (irrespective of which position (1 or 2 mentioned above they are applying for. They may mention additional details if they wish to).
- They should compulsorily fill in their details at https://forms.gle/SMc4FdqrXUDiHb6dA (candidate should log into Gmail and then open this link in a new tab to fill in details)
- Shortlisted candidates will be informed through email for the Online interview (Skype/ Google meet).
- Students having their own funding (e.g., through UGC-NET/ CSIR-NET and who wish to work on any of the above-mentioned project areas may feel free to contact the PI. Candidates with UGC-NET funding or funding from any other sources would be considered for direct admittance to the Ph.D. program under the PI.
24th June 2022 [Interview will be conducted shortly after the deadline.]
- Selected candidates will be encouraged to join the Ph.D. program of BITS-Pilani as per institute rules.
- For any queries regarding the position, please feel free to email the PI (Dr. Vinay Chamola, firstname.lastname@example.org).
- If the performance of the candidate is found unsatisfactory, the position can be terminated with a 1-month notice.
- The interview will be conducted online.
About the Principal Investigator
Vinay Chamola (Senior Member, IEEE) (Google scholar: Link) received the B.E. degree in electrical and electronics engineering and the master’s degree in communication engineering from the Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani, India, in 2010 and 2013, respectively, and the Ph.D. degree in electrical and computer engineering from the National University of Singapore, Singapore, in 2016.
In 2015, he was a Visiting Researcher with the Autonomous Networks Research Group (ANRG), University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, USA. He is currently the Director of the Internet of Things lab at BITS-Pilani, India (https://bitsiotlab.com/). He is also the co-founder and President of Medsupervision, a healthcare startup.
He has over 100 publications in high-ranked SCI journals, including more than 65 IEEE transactions, journal, and magazine articles. His research interests include IoT security, blockchain, UAVs, VANETs, 5G, and healthcare. He has received funding of more than 264 K USD (~ Rs. 2 Crore) as a principal investigator as a part of various national and international projects. His works have been cited around 4000 times (as per Google scholar).
He serves as an Area Editor of the Ad Hoc Networks (Elsevier). He is also an Associate editor of the IEEE Internet of Things Magazine, IEEE Networking Letters, IET Networks, IET Quantum Communication, and several other journals.
He has successfully guest-edited various special issues in reputed journals/magazines like Computer Communications (Elsevier), IEEE Internet of Things Magazine, and IET Intelligent transportation systems.
Dr. Vinay serves as a co-chair of IEEE GLOBECOM workshop 2021, IEEE INFOCOM workshop 2022, IEEE ICIAfS 2021, IEEE ANTS workshop 2021, and also has been a TPC member in various conferences such as Sensorsnets 2021 (Vienna, Austria), IEEE COMSNETS 2021, IEEE ICBC 2021 (Sydney, Australia), IEEE ICC 2020, etc.