Applications are invited for Copy Editor- Centre for Teaching and Learning at IIM Bangalore for the year 2022. The last date of application is 31 January.
The jobholder reports to the Chairperson and upholds standards and guidelines mentioned in the ‘Style Guide for HBS Casewriters and Editors’. The jobholder also supports the CTL manager in any CTL related activity.
- The candidate at minimum should be a Graduate in English, Journalism, Communication, or related field. Graduates in other related disciplines, including Management may also be considered.
- A master’s degree in the relevant field is desirable.
- The candidate should have minimum of 6 years of relevant experience in editing.
- Previous experience in academic editing would be an advantage.
- Thorough command over English language and grammar
- Good writing and editing skills; familiarity with publishing protocols
- Methodical working style, ability to work to tight deadlines and to multi-task
- Ability to be self-motivated, work and correspond independently, and maintain organised and accurate records of work
- Strong interpersonal communication skills – oral and written; ability to guide and correspond with authors/ reviewers/ editors according to academic norms
- Proficiency in MS Office including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Good computer skills, understanding and experience of audio, video and web formats
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Teams as well as Zoom
The activities of the Copy Editor will include, but not be restricted to:
- Formatting, proof reading or first-level editing of CTL related documents (cases, teaching notes and other articles) to correct grammar, punctuation, spelling and syntax errors.
- Copy editing or substantive editing involving in-depth scrutiny of said documents for focus, coherence, logic, consistency, and flow. Editing of manuscripts to iron out any structural issues, stylistic differences and ambiguities. Reworking of sentences and making suggestions for word choice and rewriting text. Improvement in the clarity and organisation of documents while retaining overall tone. In short, the copy editor will work with the initial material and make it ready for publication.
- Editing documents in keeping with the IIMB-HBPE style guide and ensuring that articles/ manuscripts/ cases are written in accordance with the style guide which includes writing standards, such as tense, voice or the spelling of certain words, styles of hyphenation and capitalisation, formatting references, matching in-text citations and references, checking text-illustration consistency, captions, all numbering systems (headings, equations, tables, figures, etc.), standardising the format of quotations/sources, flagging the position of figures, tables, boxes, and so on.
- Generating a style checklist to ensure the style guide is followed; coding manuscripts for design features, such as hierarchy of headings, to instruct the production team
- Maintaining a working knowledge of concepts/ words/ phrases as required for editing
- Checking for plagiarism and copyright issues
- Working with IT-based manuscript submission and tracking systems, databases, editing and publishing systems
- Corresponding with authors to resolve queries and issues, liaising with reviewers, editors, publishers, printers, internal and external stakeholders, others
- Checking and correcting proofs generated by publisher, liaising with authors over proofs
- Facilitating and collaborating with editorial team and case writers in department related tasks and events such as conferences, round table discussions and interviews
- Administrative tasks involved in carrying out duties as copy editor and other departmental duties assigned from time to time.
Candidates meeting all the job requirements and desirous of being considered may apply online.
The candidate will be paid with a minimum Basic of Rs. 29,200 per month, plus applicable DA (currently at 31% of Basic), HRA of 23%, NPS employer contribution of 14 %, outpatient medical reimbursement up to 30,000 per annum, medical insurance cover of Rs 5,00,000 for self, spouse and 2 dependent children and other applicable benefits as per IIMB contract appointment norms.
Click here to view the official notification of Copy Editor- Centre for Teaching and Learning at IIM Bangalore.
You may also be interested in: