NoticeBard | Home

Copenhagen Bioscience PhD Programme 2022 [Fully Funded; 16 Positions]: Apply by Jan 17!

Applications are invited from eligible candidates for the fully funded Copenhagen Bioscience PhD Programme 2022.

About the Programme

Copenhagen Bioscience PhD Programme

The Copenhagen Bioscience PhD programme recruits up to 16 motivated international students annually to launch their careers in the vibrant scientific environment of the Novo Nordisk Foundation Research Centers in Copenhagen.

Selection is based on academic achievements, research experience, academic references and interviews. The interview visit for up to 40 shortlisted applicants comprises panel interviews, one-on-one meetings with potential supervisors, and tours of the Novo Nordisk Foundation Research Centers.

The Novo Nordisk Foundation arranges and pays for travel and accommodation for interviewing candidates. The interview visit will take place in Copenhagen in March 2022.

Programme Outline

The four-year programme is divided into a pre-doctoral year followed by three years of PhD training at the University of Copenhagen or the Technical University of Denmark:

The pre-doctoral year includes short rotation projects, choice of a lab for the long-term (PhD) project, and research-based courses. Approximately 15% of time during the pre-doctoral year is spent on courses, and the remaining 85% on lab-based research.

All awardees must pass an assessment at the end of the pre-doctoral year to qualify for the following three years of PhD education.

All students in the Copenhagen Bioscience PhD programme complete three two-week rotation projects at the start of the pre-doctoral year. These rotation projects allow students to gain experience with the methods, important scientific questions and research environment in the labs they are interested in joining.

During each rotation project, the student and supervisor are expected to discuss potential long-term project ideas. After completing the three rotation projects, the student makes an agreement with one of their rotation supervisors to join their lab for the long-term (PhD) project.


The CPH Bioscience PhD programme is designed for international talents to come to Denmark and start their research careers at one of the NNF Research Centers.

Applicants must fulfill the following:

  • Submit a fully completed application form before the deadline via the Novo Nordisk Foundation web-based application system.
  • Provide a minimum of two academic references.
  • Hold, or anticipate receiving before enrolment, a university degree that formally qualifies the applicant to enter a PhD programme (typically a Master’s degree).
  • Hold, or anticipate receiving before enrolment, a university degree from outside of Denmark.
  • The programme is also open for applicants with a Danish degree who can document at least 12 months of full-time research experience from outside Denmark, confirmed by at least one of their academic references.
  • Provide proof of English language skills (for example, TOEFL, IELTS, GRE scores).


  • Full salary and tuition fee will be covered by the Novo Nordisk Foundation. Funding for the first year is awarded unconditionally to all successful applicants.
  • Funding for the following three years is awarded conditionally, to be approved following a successful qualifying assessment at the end of the first (pre-doctoral) year.
  • Up to sixteen positions will be funded for a programme start in September 2022. Applicants of all nationalities may be awarded funding, provided they fulfill all of the eligibility criteria.

Application Process

  • Applications must be completed and submitted using the Novo Nordisk Foundation electronic application system.
  • Once signed up and logged in at the Novo Nordisk Foundation grant administration system, you can find the Copenhagen Bioscience PhD Programme call for applications under the ‘Copenhagen Bioscience’ tab.
  • All complete applications submitted are reviewed by a committee of Group Leaders from the Novo Nordisk Foundation Research Centers.
  • Applicants can expect a reply from the review committee in February 2022.

How to Apply?

Interested applicants can apply for the programme through this link.

Application Deadline

Jan 17, 2022


Amelia Green
Programme Coordinator, Copenhagen Bioscience PhD Programme
Novo Nordisk Foundation Research Center Cluster
University of Copenhagen / Technical University of Denmark

Click here to view the official notification for the Copenhagen Bioscience PhD Programme 2022.


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *