Nominations are invited for Padma Awards 2022 by Ministry of Home Affairs for the year 2022. The last date of nomination is 15 September.
The Padma Awards, one of the highest civilian honour of India, are announced every year on the eve of Republic Day. The Awards are given in three categories: Padma Vibhushan for exceptional and distinguished service; Padma Bhushan for distinguished service of higher order and Padma Shri for distinguished service in any field of activity.
There ought to be an element of public service in the achievements of the person to be selected for these Awards.
Any person without distinction of race, occupation, position or sex is eligible for these Awards. However, serving Government servants, including those working with PSUs, except Doctors and Scientists, are not eligible for these Awards.
The Award seeks to recognize works of distinction and is given for distinguished and exceptional achievements/service in all fields of activities/disciplines. An illustrative list of the fields is as under:
- Art – Includes Music, Painting, Sculpture, Photography, Cinema, Theatre, etc.
- Social Work – Includes social and charitable services in the areas of affordable healthcare and education, other contributions to community projects like Environment, Sanitation, etc.
- Public Affairs- Includes work in the area of Law, Public Life, Politics, etc.
- Science & Engineering – Includes Space Engineering, Nuclear Science, Information Technology, Research & Development in Science & its allied subjects, etc.
- Trade & Industry – Includes banking, economic activities, management, trading and business in the areas of manufacturing, hospitality, technology, textiles, accounting, finance, tourism, etc.
- Medicine – Includes medical research and distinction/specialization in Allopathy, Ayurveda, Homeopathy, Siddha, Naturopathy, etc.
- Literature & Education – Includes promotion of literacy and education, education reforms, teaching, journalism, literature & poetry, authors, etc.
- Civil Service – Includes distinction/excellence in administration etc. by Government Servants
- Sports – Includes Sports, Athletics, Mountaineering, promotion of sports, etc.
- Others – Includes fields that are not covered in the above-mentioned fields. This may include Spirituality, Yoga, Wild Life protection/conservation, Culinary, Agriculture, Grassroot Innovations, Archaeology, Architecture, etc.
The Award is not conferred posthumously. However, in highly deserving and rare cases, the Government could consider giving an Award posthumously.
Eligibility for a Higher Category of Padma Award
A higher category of Padma Award can be conferred on a person only where a period of at least five years has elapsed since conferment of the earlier Padma Award. However, an exception can be made by the Awards Committee in cases of rare and most exceptional achievements.
No. of Awardees
The total number of Awards which can be given in a year (excluding posthumous cases and Foreigners/NRIs/OCIs) is 120.
Who can nominate?
The nomination process is open to the public. Even self-nomination can be made. Nominations/ Recommendations are invited online from 1st May to 15th September every year.
All nominations/recommendations received for Padma Awards are placed before the Padma Awards Committee which is constituted by the Prime Minister every year. No Award is conferred except on the recommendation of the Awards Committee.
The recommendations of the Committee are submitted to the Prime Minister and the President of India for approval. The names are announced on the eve of Republic Day every year.
- Nomination Start Date: 01/05/2022
- Nomination End Date: 15/09/2022
- Announcement Date: 25/01/2023
Interested candidates can apply online via this page.
Click here to view the official notification of Padma Awards 2022 by Ministry of Home Affairs.
You may also be interested in: