On behalf of the Department for Business Energy & Industrial Strategy, United Kingdom (UK) and the Ministry of Science and Technology, India, the British Council in India, the Department of Science and Technology (DST), the Department of Biotechnology (DBT) and Indian Higher Educational Institutions (HEIs) are inviting applications for funding to support short-term PhD placements between UK and Indian institutions.
The Newton-Bhabha Fund is offering the opportunity for UK and Indian PhD scholars to spend a period of their study (up to two to four months) in Indian and UK higher education institutions, to take place between March 2020 and December 2020.
In India, the scheme is open only to Indian scholars enrolled at public-funded Indian higher education institutions with the following criteria:
- INSPIRE PhD Senior Research Fellows (SRFs) of Batch 2016 are eligible to apply for a STEM and Life Sciences subjects.
- PhD Scholars (other than INSPIRE Fellows) who have qualified through national level test and are pursuing PhD in mid second or third year of Life Sciences are eligible to apply. The following national level tests are considered: CSIR/UGC-NET, GATE, BET, ICMR-NET, ICAR-NET
- PhD scholars (other than INSPIRE and those applying for Life Sciences) pursuing PhD in second or third year from public funded Indian HEIs, that submitted a response to British Council’s Expression of Interest (EoI) are eligible to apply. List of Institutions that submitted their EoI can be accessed in the downloads section.
The application should be submitted by PhD scholar with endorsement from both the sending and receiving Head of Department (or equivalent) with the latter’s confirmation that they will host the PhD scholars; duration of the stay.
Indian applicants apply here.
To help you to prepare your application, a sample application form is available here.
- Deadline for receipt of applications: 8 October 2019
- Selection results announced in December 2019
- Placements to take place between: March 2020 and December 2020
For any queries, contact
- For British Council India
Write to Purti Kohli at Purti.firstname.lastname@example.org
- For DST – India
Write to Tamana Arora at email@example.com / Dr. Amit Parikh at firstname.lastname@example.org